As Christmas approaches and 2015 comes to a close, it’s a great time to talk with your spouse and have a 2015 Year-End Review. Most of our days are full until Christmas, but try to spare an hour for a quick coffee or lunch date to discuss these important topics:
- Christmas Gifts: Where are we with our Christmas gift list? Where are we with the budget? What help do we need from each other to finish the buying and wrapping?
- Christmas Activities: What is left on our calendar? Is there anything we need to add or eliminate? What help do we need from each other to attend functions and meet commitments?
- Taxes and Charitable Giving: Do we want to do any end-of-the-year charitable donations? To which organizations will we donate?
After Christmas is over, take some time to talk about the past year and look forward to the year ahead. Sometimes when my husband and I actually have time go out for dinner and talk, we don’t know what to say because we don’t get to have uninterrupted conversation very often! Either that or we end up talking about our kids most of the time. (Anyone else?)
I’ve compiled a list of conversation questions that I plan to talk about with my husband and hope you’ll get a chance to talk about them with your spouse too.
- What did we like about 2015?
- What didn’t we like?
- What did we learn?
- What do we wish we would have done differently?
- What do we want to focus on in 2016?
- What goals and dreams do we have as a couple/family/individual?
- How can we help each other achieve those goals and dreams?
- What financial goals do we have for the upcoming year?
- What travel plans do we have or want to make?
After you talk about these things, schedule another date on the calendar within the next three months to review progress and check in on your collective and individual dreams and goals. It’s so easy in the hustle and bustle of everyday life to forget about those passions and dreams that reside in our hearts. But if you and your spouse remind each other about them and hold each other accountable, you’ll make lots of progress on them in 2016. I’m sure looking forward to that!