“A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”
– Proverbs 17:22 ESV
To say we are living in stressful times would be an understatement. So much in our world has changed in just a few months. Most people are working from home and kids are learning at home. Social distancing is part of our regular vocabulary. Our news feed seems to constantly be filled with bad news.
While we can’t control a lot of what’s going on in the world, we can control our response to it. We can choose to seek joy despite our circumstances. We can choose to have more fun with our spouse because it’s important to laugh and remain connected—it’s good for our mental and physical health!
Here is a list of ideas you can use to have more fun in your marriage as we navigate these challenging times:
- Send each other silly memes or jokes via text or email
- Watch movies or TV shows that will make you laugh together
- Rekindle your inner child: blow bubbles, play hopscotch or hide and seek
- Camp out together in the backyard or in the living room
- Play board games and complete puzzles
- Get out coloring books and crayons and create pictures for one another
- Try a new hobby together
- Ride bikes
- Create a virtual visit to a new place: even though travel is difficult, you can create an experience to a new place by watching YouTube videos, cooking new cuisine and reading guide books. You could even start planning a future trip when travel is easier.
- Buy art supplies and create something together
- Reminisce: watch home videos and look at old photos
Creating moments of fun with your spouse will help us prevent crushed spirits during challenging times. Focusing on fun, laughter, and joy is good for the heart and for a marriage.